US Senate should not go on 1 week break for President’s day, should instead stay in DC and vote to confirm President Trump’s cabinet members
Posted on | February 15, 2017 | 15 Comments
US Senate should not go on 1 week break for Presidents day, should instead stay in DC and vote to confirm President Trump’s cabinet members
By Dr. Orly Taitz, ESQ
It was announced that on Friday or Saturday US Congress will go on 1 week break for President’s day.
Let me give you a background of what is happening in DC. Senate Majority leader, Mitch McConnell, admitted that we have now the slowest rate of confirmations in the US history, the slowest since George Washington. It is true that the main reason is the fact that the Democrats are acting as saboteurs. However, this does not mean that the Senate Republicans should not double their efforts to speed up confirmations and let President Trump do the job that American people elected him to do.
Americans are watching with total disbelieve the arrogance of our senate. American workers do not get a week break on President’s day. They get a week or two in a whole year. Congress goes on breaks and vacations non-stop.
It is time for Senator McConnell to announce that the senate will be in a continuous session until all the nominees are confirmed. As a matter of fact, we have precedents of senate being in session for months, even around half a year sometime around 2013, as senate did not want Obama to make recess appointments without senate approval.
There are 16 members of the President’s cabinet and 7 more cabinet level positions, a total of 23. So far, only 12 were confirmed by the senate, only about a half of the cabinet.
Furthermore, there are multiple other appointments that senate needs to confirm:
- there are about 400 total appointments, which include 195 ambassadors and about 205 high level government officials,
- currently, there are 117 vacancies of federal judges,
- 55 vacancies of immigration judges,
- President Trump will need to replace 95 US Attorneys (Federal attorneys) which were appointed by Obama. So, there are 667 total positions that need to be filled with the consent and confirmation of the senate. This is not the time to seat and do nothing and take vacations.
- Moreover, there are bills that need to be passed, among them repeal of Obamacare, lowering the tax burden, repeal or renegotiation of NAFTA and WTO-GATT, balanced budget amendment and paying off the debt, or at least 10 trillion incurred by Obama. It is time for members of the senate to stop playing games and it is time for them to concentrate on voting, voting, voting. Every US citizen should flood with phone calls the office of the Senate Majority leader, Mitch McConnell, and each and every senator and tell them: “NO” on Presidents’ day break, stay in DC and vote and confirm the nominees of President Trump.